Hey Mountain High Fans,
Due to the ongoing wildfires, the USDA Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Region (which includes the Angeles National Forest) will go into a temporary closure tonight, August 31, through at least September 17th. This means the Sky High Disc Golf Course and the North Lodge Grill & Pub will be closed for the duration. Please note, there are currently NO FIRES THREATENING MOUNTAIN HIGH though there are numerous fires burning around our state that are threatening homes and lives.
Says Jennifer Eberlien, Regional Forester, “We do not take this decision lightly but this is the best choice for public safety. It is especially hard with the approaching Labor Day weekend when so many people enjoy our national forests.”
Factors that led to this decision include:
- The closure order will decrease the potential for new fires.
- Forecasts show that conditions this season are trending the same or worse as we move into late summer and fall.
- By temporarily reducing the numbers of people on national forests, we hope to minimize the likelihood that visitors could be trapped on National Forest System lands during an emergency.
- Although the potential for large fires and risk to life and property is not new, what is different is that we are facing: (a) record level fuel and fire conditions; (b) fire behavior that is beyond the norm of our experience and models such as large, quick runs in the night; (c) significantly limited initial attack resources, suppression resources, and Incident Command Teams to combat new fire starts and new large fires; and (d) no predicted weather relief for an extended period of time into the late fall.
Thank you for understanding. Our thoughts are with the firefighters and communities across the West affected by these horrible fires. For more information about Mountain High’s summer and fall operations, please visit us at www.mthigh.com
We can’t wait to see you on the mountain.
Mountain High Resorts
Links to FS Temporary Emergency Closure Order:
- Press Release: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd949147.pdf
- Regional Order: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd949149.pdf